What is VPS Hosting
VPS, which is the abbreviation of Virtual Private Server, is a virtual machine created on a physical server. As VPS hosting enjoys an independent server environment, every virtual server has its own disk space, RAM, CPU, and IP addresses. VPS users still share the server with others, but they are provided with individual computer functions. Due to this, VPS is surely more advanced than shared web hosting, and works for the medium sized websites with up to 10,000 unique visitors daily.
Generally speaking, VPS hosting falls into 3 groups: fully managed hosting, semi-managed hosting, and unmanaged hosting, which require different amounts of technical knowledge and skills.
Why and When to Choose VPS
Why you choose VPS but not the budget shared web hosting? Because you expect the fast and reliable website hosting, and the consistent customer service, but these are not a budget VPS provider can provide you. For a better competitive price, the budget VPS providers have to cut off the features, oversell the servers, utilize old machines or secondary data centers, or cost down the hire. Anyway, as a result, the overall quality of the budget VPS service is usually not qualified, even it's worse than a branded shared web host.
When you decide to choose a VPS, you shall not be initiated from saving and costing down. Instead, a great deal of VPS is generally pricing around $40/mo that it is reasonable and affordable to the most small business entities. Otherwise, we recommend you going with a branded business class shared web host, like InMotion hosting.
Managed VPS vs Unmanaged VPS
VPS hosting ensures you the virtually dedicated hosting environment. With the offering of root access, you are allowed to reboot your private server, remove unused items and install any scripts or applications you want. However, you also hold the responsibility of server maintenance and operating system configurations. In this case, you need to choose from the options of managed VPS and the unmanaged VPS.
Managed VPS Hosting
- There is no need to for you to configure your operating system, to install control panel and some other necessary applications, and to deal with some server maintenance tasks.
- The technical support is always ready for asking.
- You no longer need to worry about the security issues, for the web hosts will tackle this aspect.
- You can focus on the website running only.
- However, this hosting type is costly for many common webmasters. Also, you may feel hard to use your preferred control panel or application, as they are pre-determined.
Unmanaged VPS Hosting
- You are allowed to get the full control over your server configurations.
- The hosting charge of this option is much cheaper than that of managed VPS service.
- You have the full authority on the utilization of your server resources.
If you want to learn more about this hosting type or are looking for the reliable VPS hosting providers, you can check the VPS resource site like: https://www.waikey.com/